“Why don't people just give me money?”
That's what a friend of mine once lamented, frustrated at how hard a time he was having running business and making things work as well as he thought they should.
It stems from a mindset that most people have to some extent: X just happens to people. It's a focus on events.
Events are an easy thing for the human mind to seize on:
- Climbing Mt. Everest
- Diving in the Mediterranean
- Getting married on a hilltop
- Selling a business for millions of dollars
- Sleeping with some beautiful girl
- Becoming famous and getting on TV
Most people look at the people doing these things and say, “God, that person is lucky! Why can't I have that happen to ME?”
The hard thing to do though is the thing that's also the more correct thing, and the thing that actually works: focusing not on events, but on process, instead.