Tom Brady and the Pats are going to the Super Bowl Again!

The Emerald Archer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Not sure how many of you guys keep up with the NFL on here, but I've been a huge Patriots and Tom Brady fan since '06 before they went undefeated, had only been to 3 Super Bowls instead of (now) 9, and before Tom Brady ever won his first MVP and started being seen as the GOAT. I'm super stoked that they pulled off a huge win in Kansas City earlier tonight despite all the haters talking trash saying how they're gonna lose or how they want the Pats to lose, and here they are going to yet another Super Bowl. Tom Brady and Bill Belchik's ninth and the Pats' third straight Super Bowl in 3 years.

No but seriously, I wanted to talk about winners and having a winner mentality. As a Pats fan, I hear quite a bit from almost everyone about how they hate the Patriots and Tom Brady cuz they win so much and are "always" in the Super Bowl and AFC Championship Games every year, and because they have been the most dominant NFL franchise in the past 20 years. I just recently had a conversation with my barber and he was giving me shit for rooting for the Patriots and said he'd rather see anyone but Tom Brady and the Pats in the Super Bowl again, and argued that it would be cool to see someone else win one for a change like Phillip Rivers (Chargers) or Patrick Mahomes (Kansas City).

It's been very eye-opening as I've come to realize just how much people hate to see winners in our society and hate to see people consistently win. It really amuses me when people say things like it would be cool to let someone else have a Super Bowl ring for a change. I never really understood that mentality, instead of talking about who wants it more, who is willing to sacrifice more to win, who is willing to practice and play harder week after week and year after year, and all of these different factors that contribute to a successful sports team or franchise, they simply say it would be nice just so someone else can have a win.

I feel this relates to a lot of what's preached on here about becoming a strong, dominant, powerful male who knows how to get what he wants in life and finds a way to win as much of the time as possible. It's kind of ironic to observe this culturally and socially in other people because everyone claims to want to be a winner in life (whatever that means to each person) but yet, everyone despises those who really win and who do so very dominantly like Tom Brady and the Patriots vs envying them and being inspired by them and rooting for them because they always find a way to win and to win consistently.

I know Chase has talked about this a great deal and even wrote an article about failing to identify with winners. It's really been on my mind lately and to see firsthand just how much spite people have towards winners and people who win a lot and who do so very dominantly (like the Patriots and Tom Brady) blows my mind!

Anyways, what do you guys think about Tom Brady and the Patriots and winners?

Go Pats! ;)

Ken

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
The Emerald Archer,

I keep up with the NFL, and sports in general. I saw both championship games last night, and the Chiefs could not stop the Patriots from getting first downs in Overtime. Also, I've heard for a while from sports media people that the Patriots were eroding and were not as good as they were before. But apparently, they are still good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

Also, I am a baseball fan, and my favorite team is the Yankees. And trust me, everybody hates the Yankees. The Yankees have won more championships (27) than any other team in the four major North American sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL). And the thing is: they haven't won the World Series in ten years, since their last trip to the World Series in 2009. So while other teams, like the Red Sox, have won more World Championships this century (the Red Sox won last year), it's the Yankees that sill get a lot of hate. I believe that the Yankees will win the World Series in 2021, where all of their players will be at the peak of their abilities and have enough playoff experience under their belts.

I was talking to my dad about the hate towards the Yankees and the Patriots a half an hour ago, and he said that everybody be hating something in life.

If the Patriots win, it will be hilarious because it is further proof that we are going back in time to how things used to be. We have a Republican president that nobody likes, and the Patriots keep winning Super Bowls. I was thinking that when the Patriots made their comeback against the Falcons and won Super Bowl 51 in 2017.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
A good bit of the hate towards New England is also due to spy-gate and a lesser extent deflate-gate, with spy-gate it was recording the Rams in their first ever superbowl win. Then you have the controversial tuck rule against the Raiders which upset a lot of people as well. Despite all this, the Patriots are one superbowl short of tying the Steelers for having the most all-time.

As for Brady himself, he kind of confirms my chip on the shoulder theory towards game, winning and life in general. I think even though he has won 5 superbowls, he is still upset being taken in the 6th round of the NFL draft. It is like some men can deal with that kind of humiliation to their pride and their work but then you get a select few who cannot and it fuels a fire that is impossible to put out. I remember reading about how George St-Pierre, considered to be the best MMA fighter of all time, was bullied growing up. Then I read about how Michael Jordan could not make the varsity team in high school and even with historical figures like what Alexander The Great and Genghis Khan both had to endure growing up. Even Eminem's story is of being overlooked for being a white rapper and now, he is considered the greatest rapper alive.

It is a theme with PUA and a lot of game legends whether we are talking of Mystery, Neil Strauss or even Chase himself; there was always that period of loneliness, rejection from women, failure and being incels in their own right. It was that struggle that pushed them into having dedicated work ethic and wanting to go all the way through with life goals to come out on top in game. If it was not for that struggle, they would have given up a long time ago.

In some ways I think this is the curse of being a natural sometimes.

Being taken in the first round, always having stuff handed to you, never really having to struggle to succeed and never having to face much obstacles. You lack that inner drive and determination to keep going. Even if you could, you rather not bother with it because you don't see the point in it as much as someone who missed out, never had it come naturally or had to work real hard for it.

The natural settles down before the age of 25 because he had his fun, he sees no need to hit the game hard, keep going, keep approaching and keep on dedicating his time to beng at the top. Then you have the guy who missed out on his youth and the misery is so bad that he cannot sleep at night, it consumes him, so that is his drive to keep going hard at the game and putting all he has into it. The guy who missed out will try to find all ways to come at the game, dedicate more hours to it, come up with more innovations and become a life-long student.

If you don't have that fire which is caused by something in your past, you won't make it.

Most guys who had it easy will rarely have that fire, they will not want to keep going. Even if they could, their will is going to be weaker since they do not have that experience in the past that forced them to try and prove the world wrong.

Whether it is sports, game or anything competitive in life, you have to have that fire in you that tells you to keep going when most people will give up. If you do not have that fuel inside you, I feel like you will rarely go all the way.

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
Would've been super dope to see the Saints go toe to toe with the Pats (I'm in the South so thats my team) BUT i'm 100% rooting for the Pats.

Just like you say in your OP the Pats are winners to the tee. They don't make loser mistakes that so many other teams are plagued by (running out the shot clock accidently, using up all timeouts before final few minutes, trying to go for unnecessisarily big plays when you need 2 yards, etc)

Drives me crazy watching my team the Saints when they play even though their good they make loser mistakes that add up and cost them. Instead of total domination they'll make some loser decisions and have too close a game.

The book Relentless by Tim Grover talks about these charachter dicotomies in Sports and how the translate to life. Really good motivating read.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I'm definitely slightly down because I'm a Chargers fan... I'm pretty sure this is third time Tom Brady and the Patriots have knocked us out of the playoffs in the last 20 years. :(

That being said, unlike most Chargers fans (and non-Patriots fans in general), I have total admiration and respect for what Tom Brady does and continues to do every single season. The guy is a complete beast and takes every aspect of his job seriously -- his goal is to win every single game, and he does exactly what he needs to do to accomplish that every single week both mentally and physically.

Tom Brady also has an outstanding offensive line, and that's always been the case. One of my biggest beefs with the Chargers organization is that they seem to refuse to over-invest in a Pro Bowl caliber offensive line. They always try to go "budget" with the offensive line and spend a ton on receivers and other play-making positions rather than fortifying the trenches with rock-solid blockers. It should be pretty clear at this point that having an elite quarterback with an elite offensive line is more important than having an elite quarterback with elite receivers because Tom Brady wins Super Bowls with no names at wideout and RB/HB all the time.

Maybe management will finally figure it out this season... (yeah... right).

- Franco

The Emerald Archer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Ken,
Also, I am a baseball fan, and my favorite team is the Yankees. And trust me, everybody hates the Yankees. The Yankees have won more championships (27) than any other team in the four major North American sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL). And the thing is: they haven't won the World Series in ten years, since their last trip to the World Series in 2009. So while other teams, like the Red Sox, have won more World Championships this century (the Red Sox won last year), it's the Yankees that sill get a lot of hate.

Yes the Yankees are another perfect example that everyone used to hate and still hate because they've won a lot. From my understanding, with MLB money plays more of a role than other sports and since the Yankees have (or had) the most money it meant they won most of the time. Not sure if that may contribute some towards the hate, but the point is the same: people don't like winners and I think it's sad that instead of looking for patterns to learn from winners and emulate people just hate.

If the Patriots win, it will be hilarious because it is further proof that we are going back in time to how things used to be. We have a Republican president that nobody likes, and the Patriots keep winning Super Bowls.
Can you elaborate here a bit? I think I know what you're getting at but how does the Patriots continuing to win Super Bowls relate to the pendulum swinging the other way culturally/socially?

Oh Pry,
A good bit of the hate towards New England is also due to spy-gate and a lesser extent deflate-gate, with spy-gate it was recording the Rams in their first ever superbowl win. Then you have the controversial tuck rule against the Raiders which upset a lot of people as well. Despite all this, the Patriots are one superbowl short of tying the Steelers for having the most all-time.

(sigh) yes I know those get a lot of attention, but to be fair the tuck rule had nothing to do with the Pats that was just the league's terrible rules. There's a documentary on Youtube about the tuck rule and they show that there have been similar calls pertaining to the forward pass/tuck and being incomplete. And if any other team git that call in their favor who would complain? They'd take it just like the Pats did. As for deflategate, that's the biggest bunch of BS and so many people took Brady's side including Drew Brees and Drew Bledsoe stating that it's normal for QBs to go through the game balls and feel them to their liking. The Colts got demolished that year by Brady and the Patriots and wanted something/someone to blame other than their terrible playing of the game. And spygate was more legit than the others but again, Brady had nothing to do with that and there's a gray area mainly Belchik's interpretation of the rules. But a lot of sports analysts say that Belchik has cheated red-handed, Brady not so much.

I agree about the chip on the shoulder and being drafted so late definitely fuels Brady and I believe makes him a lot more relatable than most other athletes, but there have been plenty of 1st round QBs (Peyton Manning, John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino) that ended up being legends and hall of famers. I think motivation is a very individual thing, I would definitely say being marginalized in life fuels a lot of people that became successful, however I don't think being marginalized by itself is enough for success.

Rob,

Would've been super dope to see the Saints go toe to toe with the Pats (I'm in the South so thats my team) BUT i'm 100% rooting for the Pats.

Just like you say in your OP the Pats are winners to the tee. They don't make loser mistakes that so many other teams are plagued by (running out the shot clock accidently, using up all timeouts before final few minutes, trying to go for unnecessisarily big plays when you need 2 yards, etc)

Drives me crazy watching my team the Saints when they play even though their good they make loser mistakes that add up and cost them. Instead of total domination they'll make some loser decisions and have too close a game.

The book Relentless by Tim Grover talks about these charachter dicotomies in Sports and how the translate to life. Really good motivating read.

Hell yeah I like the Saints a lot I too wanted to see the 2 veteran QBs go at it in the Super Bowl. I was so pissed that the refs blatantly fucked up that pass interference call. It doesn't get any more obvious than that lol. I'll have to check that book out by Grover I find myself being more and more intrigued by the analysis behind motivation, drive, and determination and success in life. Fascinating stuff for sure.

Franco,

I'm definitely slightly down because I'm a Chargers fan... I'm pretty sure this is third time Tom Brady and the Patriots have knocked us out of the playoffs in the last 20 years. :(

That being said, unlike most Chargers fans (and non-Patriots fans in general), I have total admiration and respect for what Tom Brady does and continues to do every single season. The guy is a complete beast and takes every aspect of his job seriously -- his goal is to win every single game, and he does exactly what he needs to do to accomplish that every single week both mentally and physically.

Tom Brady also has an outstanding offensive line, and that's always been the case. One of my biggest beefs with the Chargers organization is that they seem to refuse to over-invest in a Pro Bowl caliber offensive line. They always try to go "budget" with the offensive line and spend a ton on receivers and other play-making positions rather than fortifying the trenches with rock-solid blockers. It should be pretty clear at this point that having an elite quarterback with an elite offensive line is more important than having an elite quarterback with elite receivers because Tom Brady wins Super Bowls with no names at wideout and RB/HB all the time.

Maybe management will finally figure it out this season... (yeah... right).

Yeah broski it does seem like the Pats have gotten in the Chargers' way one too many times lol. I ended up missing that game but when I found out the Patriots won I immediately thought "Franco must be really upset" haha. And spot on about Brady, that's what I think a lot of people can learn from him in sports and in life in general. That's kinda what I was getting at in my post, that instead of viewing someone else's success as an opportunity to learn and improve themselves they opt to go the hater route.

Good note about their O-Line they really are savage. Although they're not in the spotlight anywhere near as much as Brady they really are responsible for a huge chunk of his career success. I agree that if I was a coach I would make a franchise quarterback and top notch O-Line my main priority.

Should be a dope SUper Bowl I really hope Brady gets his sixth ring that would be some next level shit haha

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
The Emerald Archer said:
Hell yeah I like the Saints a lot I too wanted to see the 2 veteran QBs go at it in the Super Bowl. I was so pissed that the refs blatantly fucked up that pass interference call. It doesn't get any more obvious than that lol. I'll have to check that book out by Grover I find myself being more and more intrigued by the analysis behind motivation, drive, and determination and success in life. Fascinating stuff for sure.

My man ;) preciate the comraderie

dude its a sweet book and will really motivate you to step it up just a notch further in life with whatever youre doing. Highly recommend it.

The Emerald Archer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hell yeah fellas Tom and the Pats put the 6th title in the books! Truly legendary stuff and something to be admired by everyone, sports fan or not. I loved how the sports media and everyone kept doubting them and counted them out throughout the entire year and especially postseason only for them to go all the way and win the franchise's sixth Super Bowl. We're probably never gonna witness anything like this again (in our lifetime at least) in the NFL so it's really cool to be a witness to this.

Ken

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
large.jpg

The Emerald Archer said:
Ken,

Yes the Yankees are another perfect example that everyone used to hate and still hate because they've won a lot. From my understanding, with MLB money plays more of a role than other sports and since the Yankees have (or had) the most money it meant they won most of the time. Not sure if that may contribute some towards the hate, but the point is the same: people don't like winners and I think it's sad that instead of looking for patterns to learn from winners and emulate people just hate.

Can you elaborate here a bit? I think I know what you're getting at but how does the Patriots continuing to win Super Bowls relate to the pendulum swinging the other way culturally/socially?

It is a reference to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_trlJNg4g I first made this observation in 2017 after the Patriots made the comeback against the Falcons. I was going to tell someone, but for whatever reason I didn't. This year, it is back again. Red Sox win the World Series, a Republican president in office that nobody likes, Patriots winning Super Bowls. It's like we're going back in time to how things used to be. Some people still think we're in the 2000's, and there is a lot of nostalgia of the past in this decade. Most notably to the 80's and 90's.

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
Stoked the Pats won but wow that was the most boring superbowl. 1st 3 quarters felt like Pats were indifferent at best.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Mr. Rob said:
Stoked the Pats won but wow that was the most boring superbowl. 1st 3 quarters felt like Pats were indifferent at best.

Agree.

But the thing about the Patriots is that you HAVE to put points on the board while you have them stifled. By the end of the game, Brady WILL figure you out. So when that happens, you better hope you have a healthy lead, or the game will end just like this one did!

The Emerald Archer said:
Hell yeah fellas Tom and the Pats put the 6th title in the books! Truly legendary stuff and something to be admired by everyone, sports fan or not. I loved how the sports media and everyone kept doubting them and counted them out throughout the entire year and especially postseason only for them to go all the way and win the franchise's sixth Super Bowl. We're probably never gonna witness anything like this again (in our lifetime at least) in the NFL so it's really cool to be a witness to this.

I can't say I was "rooting" for them necessarily, but I'm certainly glad the Rams lost to the same team that we did. ;)

Cheers,

Franco

The Emerald Archer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
It is a reference to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_trlJNg4g I first made this observation in 2017 after the Patriots made the comeback against the Falcons. I was going to tell someone, but for whatever reason I didn't. This year, it is back again. Red Sox win the World Series, a Republican president in office that nobody likes, Patriots winning Super Bowls. It's like we're going back in time to how things used to be. Some people still think we're in the 2000's, and there is a lot of nostalgia of the past in this decade. Most notably to the 80's and 90's.

Ah ok gotcha hahah that video cracked me up that dude's like I'm not ever letting my bitch go to a Drake or Trey Songz concert.

Ha yeah a lot of people felt the same way looks like defensive football is nowhere near as exciting as offensive lol. The Pats were moving the chains decently well they just couldn't punch it in the endzone until the end. That defense has really shocked me tho first the KC game now the Rams both 1 and 2 ranked offenses and yet New England's D was near last in regular season... it's like the Pats do a complete 180 come postseason.

But the thing about the Patriots is that you HAVE to put points on the board while you have them stifled. By the end of the game, Brady WILL figure you out. So when that happens, you better hope you have a healthy lead, or the game will end just like this one did!

For sure that's why I can't believe the defense held the Rams to only 3 points I don't think anyone saw that coming.

I can't say I was "rooting" for them necessarily, but I'm certainly glad the Rams lost to the same team that we did. ;)

Well maybe not "rooting" for them but perhaps just a general respect of what they've been able to build and accomplish the past 2 decades in the NFl that's all haha

>