Self-actualization

Hue

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Howdy folks,

Been doing a lot of self reflection about my deeper motives behind my actions recently, and ended up here. After sifting through many ideas and thoughts, I thought this recent experience spoke most toward overcoming irrational motives behind getting what one wants; what one does to feel satisfied.

I was studying for my neuroscience exam with a grad student this summer, and we got deep into a topic about emotional stability. He had been in many different relationships from the age of 12 to 24, and had a copious amount of experience with trying to control and stabilize his emotions. He explained emotions in a metaphor about a table.

Most people stabilize their emotions on a table, usually with the four legs of:
Relationships
Family
Hobbies
Work
(There's certainly more, but that's beside the point.)

When someone puts too much energy, even if that means too much enjoyment onto one leg of the table, it will inevitably lead to stress on that leg, and the neglect of the other legs. This can perpetuate into the breaking of the stressed leg. In an attempt to stabilize the table, one might push more weight into the other areas, struggling to keep the top of the table from hitting the ground. Obviously, this creates more stress in the other legs as well (which can be sudden and forced when there's a sudden weight shift). The emotional table demands balance.

When he was finishing his point, I proposed the idea that there could be a pedestal (for lack of a better word) in the middle of the table. The pedestal would resemble one's self-actualization. With self-actualization, the other legs of the table don't demand as much stress, if any stress at all. To create a strong pedestal, one has to build a strong foundation, use good materials to build upward, and take their time to chip away and sculpt. By doing this, the need of the other tables are no longer required for emotional stability, and the stability comes from oneself. This is not to say the legs should be ignored, just not relied on.

So, how does this begin? I'm still trying to learn. How I think it begins is by going deep, breaking down the bad materials of one's current pedestal, replacing them with a stronger, more sustainable material. Obviously, a perfect pedestal is impossible, and there's always room for improvement. One has to be brutally honest with oneself.

I can only build if I tear the walls down - R.I.P. Eyedea

It's not an easy task to accomplish, but hey, are most things really worth it in the long run easy to attain?

I'm trying to create a list of what some of these materials for strong personal foundation are, and continue to set goals and build. If anyone has ideas about core values that really strengthen things like character, perception, and happiness, feel free to post them in the reply.

Keep it real.

G.A.

>