Social Skills Help Improvement?

Joniman

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey Guys,

I have been having problems with my social skills recently. In middle school, I was really social and unafraid of situation especially with other guys. I was friends with most of the guys and had many girl friends and one girlfriend. But as I progressed, I became more quiet and developed I believe social anxiety. I don't necessarily fear talking to people. I actually like meeting new people rather I can't relate to the students and people at my high school(senior year!!). I can't basically engage my friends to make them invite me to parties. I cant even hold conversations enough with them to invite me or casually invite myself to eat lunch at table with them. I moved from Africa to US this past summer and I don't seem to make friends that are not from my country; I basically hang out with my African friends who are all female and who I don't really relate to in terms of interests.

Anyways, I don't see much of social hierarchical progression at my high school since it is a high school and since I have only one semester left. I want to become more social, not necessarily with women but with guys too, by the time I get to college and have a fresh start. So I have a couple of solutions that I think might help and I hope you provide feedback on my potential solutions or provide better solutions which you think is better.

Solution 1: Get A Job as a waiter at a trendy engaging restaurant that requires meeting new people every second. I am not talking about McDonald's where you stand there and pass on orders and where you don't need to act nice. I was thinking of TGI fridays which is close to my home. Any place I could work you recommend to improve social skills and decrease social judgment anxiety. Do you know a place where co-workers are very close to each other and engage each other and invite each other to parties or is that just in movies? :) Any place where teenagers work the most that are not dull fast food places? Or any other job other than sales (which I don't want. I hate them. No offense)

Solution 2: Bulk and Develop a Godly Body: I think having a muscular and atheistic body would provide more confidence to me. It will indirectly make me confident. Any insight? I am a thin scrawny guy. I am currently trying to increase weight and I gained 8 pounds this past 1.5 months. Mediocre results, I am seeking better results.

Thanks for anyone willing to help. Please consider the fact that I am a high school student so keep your advice related to me (I am not going to cold approach people on the street for now!). Any advice on first 2 months of college also appreciated

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
College:

introduce yourself to classmates male and female alike. Learn their names Say "hello 'Joe'" when you see them. Remember people like you for how you make THEM feel...

Take part in all clubs related to your major or industry. If you are a leader in those you will have pre-selection. Invite people to those events, and have a social component to your club meetings. Do something in a leadership capacity for your residence hall or living group.

Learn to drink socially. No "Let's get blasted " mentality. Drinking games make you look like an idiot. When all your competition is slurring at 11 pm, you can appear pretty smooth even if you don't feel like you are. You will pick up IOI's much quicker as well.

Get a job on campus where you talk to people and are an expert on something. Practice males perfect.

kalyan

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Developing a good body is a good idea, but if being more social is your primary goal with it, no. I'd prefer you spend your time only on your stance and walk.
And the job idea is very good. As a waiter, you can get to engage new people. I think TGIF if a place where people your age attend, so that's a plus; don't work somewhere people much older than you come to chill.
And basically, be ready to engage people, and make mistakes at it. It's really okay to make mistakes at this stage since you dont see most people again in a few months.
Also, if you can find a group of 2-3 people you really like to constantly hang out with, that'd be really great! Helps you keep social momentum

>