Wealth  What Career, Trade, or Skill Should I Pursue?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
This is the sister post to my other post on making money, "How Can I Make Money Right Now?" That one was focused on a short-term get-paid-now objective; this one is focused on the long view. What can you do to position yourself to be pulling in not-inconsiderable income in the not-too-distant future?

If you'd like to narrow down what career, trade, or skill to pursue to enable yourself to rake in some cash, read on.

HOW TO SELECT A CAREER, TRADE, OR SKILL

Your main considerations in selecting a trade, skill, or career should be:

• Is this something that interests me?
  • Is this something I think it would be COOL to be really good at?
  • Is the income potential of this opportunity satisfactory for me?
  • Is the lifestyle of people who are successful in this area a lifestyle I'd like to share?
  • Are there opportunities in this niche in my area? If not, where are the opportunities?
  • How easy or hard is it to find work in this niche right now, and what does the job market in it look like 5 or 10 years out?

For instance, right now there's an oil boom going on in the U.S. Midwest. You can go work in an oil boom town and be making $120K / year with no college degree. A few years back anybody and his brother could head out there and fairly reliably get a job. Sounds like a dream, right?

These days, the spots are mostly filled and it's become extremely difficult to get hired for most of these positions. Even if you did manage to get hired, the work is extremely demanding, and you'll be on-location for large chunks of the year, and not in a fun town with parties and pretty girls. Working in the oil industry means you're either on a rig out in the ocean or you're out in the middle of nowhere in a town with a 10:1 male:female ratio, where the only women present are the girlfriends and wives of your coworkers. And you probably won't want to be trying to pick up them.

It's important to research the skill, trade, or career you're interested in before you start devoting lots of time to it, and by 'research' I mean listen to what people who actually work in that area have to say about it. If they say it's all roses, look for the catch. There usually is one.

IMPORTANT NOTE: don't go thinking a college education is an automatic ticket to employment heaven. It's not. Prior to the 1970s, businesses would use tools like IQ tests to sift for the right candidates, until IQ testing by prospective employers was outlawed. Since they couldn't use IQ tests, employers shifted to college degrees instead. This created a huge, crazy, colossal degree rush, where suddenly everyone and his brother attended university, which led to a glut of no-name universities stuffed with under-qualified teachers pushing rubbish courses.

Unless you have a technical degree (e.g., a STEM degree) or you went to a big-name university... and perhaps unless you have a STEM degree and went to a big-name university... your degree won't help you much. It's a minimum requirement at this point, rather than a real asset of any kind. It's the career equivalent of being nice; it's great that you're nice (or have a degree), but you're going to have to show a lot more than that if you want the girl (the job).

Whatever degree you pursue in university, unless you are independently wealthy, I advise you to choose something that will position you to be an attractive choice to employers after graduation. That means something in STEM. The 'easy' majors (psychology, English, liberal arts, etc.) I advise you only to select if you're independently wealth and don't need a job, or you're just attending college for kicks. Everyone else, pick something people will actually pay you for.

WHAT OPTIONS ARE GOOD IN THE EARLY 21ST CENTURY?

Okay, so, the meat of this post, and what you're probably looking for: recommendations.

You have three options:

• Work for a company
  • Become a tradesman
  • Freelance or be an entrepreneur

If you intend to work for a company, you're after a career. If you want to be a tradesman, you need to learn a trade. If you want to freelance or be an entrepreneur, you need to learn some kind of skill that is in-demand and there exist people who want to pay you enough money that you'll be happy with it.

IF YOU WANT TO WORK FOR A COMPANY

You need a university degree. Bachelor's degrees today are the high school diplomas of a half a century ago; they're the minimum requirement for entry to most big corporations. That's because big corporations need dependable workers who will fit into their system and not rock the boat, and if you couldn't make it through university they will tend to take that as a sign that you are too unstable or come from too chaotic a background to be a fit in their world of gray cubicles, Excel spreadsheets, fake office plants, and dim interior lighting.

WHAT your degree is in and WHERE you got it from are IMPORTANT. The more prestigious the company you want to work for and the higher base pay you want to start out at, the more these two things matter. Attend the best school you can, and make sure you choose the major that gets you the career you want. If you chose whatever during university, as a lot of folks do because no one really gives you any guidance or a taste of reality before you enter the university system, and you now find yourself looking for a job and realizing no one's hiring someone with a degree in "Gender Politics of the Ottoman Empire", you may want to consider heading back to school and grabbing a Master's in something a little more practical. Study hard for the GMATs, retake them if necessary, write an impressive application, and get into the best school you can get into, too.

You can search for any kind of job (accountant, IT manager, HR director, what have you) and see pay ranges here:

Salary Data & Career Research Center (United States)

IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A TRADE

... then you will need to attend trade school.

Many trades (like plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc.) have roughly the same annual income as corporate careers - e.g., electricians tend to be better paid than accountants, for instance.

Trades are a good option if you're not much of a numbers / office guy; they're respectable, manly occupations that let you work with your hands. Most trade schools only take up two years of your time, not four like universities, making them a more time-efficient option as well.

You can find salary data for the various trades on the same site as careers, above:

Salary Data & Career Research Center (United States)

IF YOU WANT TO FREELANCE / BE AN ENTREPRENEUR

... then you need to learn a skill.

Probably MULTIPLE skills, if running a business is your aim.

You will likely need to self-teach to a large degree. e.g., if you want to be a programmer, you can probably teach yourself in a week most of what they'd teach you in any given semester of a computer sciences class in a university (unless you have a spectacular instructor). This means you will have to seek out resources to enable yourself to learn whatever it is you want to learn how to do.

Fortunately, there are tons of resources for learning online, and many of them are cheap, or even free.

If you want to learn computer programming:

If you want to learn something else:

As far as skill sets are concerned, three I'd recommend pursuing with solid income now and well into the future include:

• Programming
  • Copywriting
  • Digital marketing (affiliate marketing, social media marketing, media buying, etc.)

Programming and copywriting you can spend a reasonable amount of time learning and then start freelancing for on a site like UpWork to build up experience and get paid while you do it. Digital marketing will be a little trickier, since you'll usually have to start off investing your own cash up front, and may lose quite a bit before you start seeing returns. It can also be a boom-and-bust cycle: there are lots of success stories in the digital marketing world of guys who make $300K in a year, then their offer falls apart, they blow all the money, and then they're back living in their mom's basement again trying to figure out another angle on making money again and racking up credit card debt trying different things out and failing.

If you're interested in programming, I suggest you read up on the different languages involved before you commit to learning one:

If you're unsure, PHP is a good solid language I hear in constantly high demand that the folks on Hacker News complain about recruiters on LinkedIn hounding them constantly trying to throw jobs at them over. Rails and Python are other popular choices, especially if you're thinking about building web apps or running your own Internet business at some point.

Any of these will give you a sound background on which to build a business though - if you become a capable programmer, copywriter, or digital marketer, you'll have no problem coming up with and monetizing business ideas, nor with finding founders. If you are interested in entrepreneurship, I recommend you start following Hacker News and get familiar with the scene there:

THIS SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF WORK. HOW DO I GET PAID NOW?

Go here:

How Can I Make Money Right Now?

To your success,
Chase

Seventh_Sky

Space Monkey
space monkey
Your articles here on GirlsChase have helped me immensely. I'm very grateful I found this website.

Having said that, I'd like to add in another possible skill to learn: trading the financial markets. I myself am currently an amateur and, like most beginners, have experienced my fair share of losses, but losses are no reason to disregard such a potentially powerful skill.

- There is almost no limit to how much a person can make trading stocks, bonds, futures, etc. It all depends upon personal ability and level of practice.
- Barriers to entry are almost non-existent, nearly anyone can open a brokerage account given 1-2 weeks.

However...

- Learning is harsh, and success is hard-won. Many have lost fortunes. It can take years to learn, if ever.
- A certain amount of capital is required to begin trading, so another source of income is pretty much a prerequisite.

Someone who fully understands the risks, learns very quickly, and is prepared to fight for however long it takes would have the best chances of succeeding, based on what I've heard from other successful traders.

If anyone is still reading and is interested, try seeking the advice of legitimate traders (there are fakes...) and doing a lot of research before risking their own money. I'd also like to emphasize the downsides again just to make sure nobody thinks this is a get-rich-quick scheme, because if it was I'd be rich by now.

fsc

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2016/03/ ... h-degrees/

I've tried mentoring an aspiring entrepreneur in web development. He sent me a sample of his code to look over, and I had something bad to say about literally every major section of his code. The programming logic was wrong, there were conditional cases that would never execute, and the whole thing would need to be re-written every time a new feature was introduced to the web app.

I've tried working with 2 non-software engineers who were self-taught programmers. They wrote hundreds of lines of code that were not maintainable because a lot of of it was redundant, and there was a lot of bloated code to try to make "fitting a square peg into a round hole" work.

I've tried hiring freelance web developers from UpWork, but discarded all ~80 applicants because I combed through their source code and they weren't great. Many of them were "WordPress Experts" who knew how to create pretty websites using WordPress and other templates, but they're not programmers.

There's more to being a good programmer than just knowing how to use a language. The code must be efficient in CPU time and memory consumption, maintainable for future modifications, and scalable (to millions of users in the case of a server-side code). This is generally the biggest difference between a self-taught programmer and a university grad with a CS degree. The university grad is trained to be a problem solver (2 years of general problem solving in calculus, physics, etc then 2 years of CS-specific problem solving in CS courses) as opposed to someone who knows how to use a "tool" (n-weeks of Python tutorials). We are taught about design patterns and their applications, we are introduced to different types of languages (not PHP vs Node.js, but a more general view like functional vs imperative languages), we are drilled on efficiency, algorithms, and data structures and when to use what. In addition to that, we're required to take classes on subjects like parallel and distributed programming, artificial intelligence, cryptography, which all help the overall programming skill.

It's not impossible to be self-taught and employed. What I said may sound discouraging, but that's what you're up against in addition to all the other self-taught folks. I'm trying to paint a fuller picture than the typical "become a web developer in 10 weeks!" or "our bootcamp graduates earn an average of $105k/year!" stuff you may have seen online. If you want to be a successful self-taught programmer without a university degree, you absolutely must look into what is taught at universities. You have to go beyond just learning how to program in X language and Y language. You may be able to get by in front-end web development (HTML, CSS, JavaScript), but if you want to do work that's higher-paying and higher in demand such as back-end web development (server code), Android/iOS app development, software, etc, there's a lot more than a couple of weeks' worth of material to learn.

EDIT
Chase said:
WHAT your degree is in and WHERE you got it from are IMPORTANT
This is a bit unfair, but it's true. I have a degree in computer science from UCLA, and a personal case that best illustrates this (all happened in about a week):
> Went to an on-campus technical career fair in jeans, henleys, and pretty sure flip flops
> It was a general tech career fair, but most employers were looking for CS majors. Some recruiters actually stop you and ask if you're a CS major
> Just left some employer's booth that was giving out chocolate
> Put chocolate in mouth
> Recruiters from some startup in Venice Beach stop me
> They tell me about their young startup
> I try to finish my chocolate asap
> I discuss my resume, personal projects I've worked on, and I pitch how one of the programs I made in my free time can be integrated into their product to differentiate them from their competitors
> They like me and tell me to come for an interview for an iOS developer position
> I tell them I have no experience in iOS
> Doesn't matter, still offer $75-100k/year plus equity
> Recruiter from Google emails me out of nowhere (I never even applied) and asks me for my resume
> Frat bro asks for resume for Amazon
> Friend offers $6k and "more" for about a month worth of work for his startup
> Fuck it, I'm gonna create a startup too. Worst-case scenario = I gain experience
> Cancel interviews, Venice Beach guys call me right away and tell me to come in for an interview anyway

PS, entrepreneur-ing is intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally challenging AF. Don't do it just to appear cool.

EDIT
If you're on the fence about skipping college, GO TO college. Especially for a STEM degree in a good university.
1. You'll gain knowledge that employers are looking for
2. You'll build a professional network (assuming you'll attend a good university where everyone else is smart AF and will work for a tech giant in SF)
3. Girls

disciple99

Space Monkey
space monkey
hey what about a undergrade degree in History and MBA after it or should I do a Bsc.IT or BCA. my financial background is quite weak.

what degree did Chase do anyone know.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
A word on STEM, do not go into any of the life sciences (Biology, biochemistry, or chemistry) unless you want to go to med school or any sort of healthcare field (dentistry). Most of those degrees on their own will ONLY get you a sales gig at best or maybe a lab tech job paying 20-30k yearly, a lot of those degrees have the value of a liberal arts degree on their own. STEM should only be TE, technology and engineering, those are the majors that get you employed.

As for liberal arts degree, unless you want to get into a good law school (and ranking matters a lot), I would avoid them. Most are great for boosting the GPA though and in the end, GPA > all else for grad school admissions.

One more thing, work hours! I had the chance of getting into Investment Banking but the work hours were 80-100 hrs a week with high burnout rates. As an undersexed college grad? No way was I going to let my 20s fly away like that. Medicine also requires a similar kind of sacrifice, dentistry on the other hand seems a bit more laid back. I decided to eventually go for corporate finance instead, the pay is not on the level of investment banking but the hours are way better.

As always, grades = everything. You aren't breaking in out of college with less than 3.5 unless you have serious connections, same is true for med school and dental school.

For programming, I suggest starting with Python if you are new to it all. I strongly recommend going past Code Academy though, on its own it can hardly teach you much except for the rudimentary steps of coding. Get a Github account and put the code on there.

I'll say this about tech careers though.

The bubble is soon to burst and the days of bootcamp grads landing 60k jobs are going to end in the coming decade. Sure, the UCLA and Stanford grads who are being courted by the Big 4 will be doing well but everyone else is going to be screwed for the most part. I doubt that Bootcamps will be as relevant or as helpful in getting a job. Quite a few inflate their stats and even hire graduates as instructors in order to make themselves look good on paper and for the good ones, getting in is very competitive.

One other thing, read this post!

http://wallstreetplayboys.com/everythin ... -a-career/

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Seventh_Sky said:
Your articles here on GirlsChase have helped me immensely. I'm very grateful I found this website.

Having said that, I'd like to add in another possible skill to learn: trading the financial markets. I myself am currently an amateur and, like most beginners, have experienced my fair share of losses, but losses are no reason to disregard such a potentially powerful skill.

- There is almost no limit to how much a person can make trading stocks, bonds, futures, etc. It all depends upon personal ability and level of practice.
- Barriers to entry are almost non-existent, nearly anyone can open a brokerage account given 1-2 weeks.

However...

- Learning is harsh, and success is hard-won. Many have lost fortunes. It can take years to learn, if ever.
- A certain amount of capital is required to begin trading, so another source of income is pretty much a prerequisite.

Someone who fully understands the risks, learns very quickly, and is prepared to fight for however long it takes would have the best chances of succeeding, based on what I've heard from other successful traders.

If anyone is still reading and is interested, try seeking the advice of legitimate traders (there are fakes...) and doing a lot of research before risking their own money. I'd also like to emphasize the downsides again just to make sure nobody thinks this is a get-rich-quick scheme, because if it was I'd be rich by now.

As someone working in finance, WRONG, never try to predict the markets, it is stupid and risky.

Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
fsc said:
If you're on the fence about skipping college, GO TO college. Especially for a STEM degree in a good university.
This is only valid if you happen to be in a high profile uni in a STEM major in a dense tech area, as it happens to be your case. In most cases you are not going to get either #1 or #2, and in some cases even #3. The only scenario I can say that going to college is a good deal is if you want it for the girls and have a few thousand to spare (which of course is awesome).

I'm majoring in engineering and there isn't a single thing I couldn't learn by myself, specially highly technical stuff such as calculus, physics and some kinds of modelling and programming where there are countless good books. And most of the books we use are virtually the same, and if you solve a calculus textbook from cover-to-cover it doesn't really matter which uni you go to if we're talking about quality of education; the difference here is only the name your uni has even though you'd have theoretically the same education elsewhere.

If you really wanted to be a good programmer there is certainly a top-notch programmer out there that cost less than multiple thousand per year for you to learn under him.

There's more: I didn't develop any "problem solving skills" by solving countless technical problems. It's a pattern. Once you get it down you can solve everything, even the hardest of all problems (unless we're going to Putnam-level math problems), which is why I don't bother if I can't solve a particular problem. You can only gain certain leverage if you're not into an big school in a prolific area if you engage in several side activities that kills it for me: research, publishing papers, competitions, etc.

I'd rather had worked at a regular job for 4-5 years, save money and start a venture as a side project. Working a regular job for the rest of my life would be a failure for me too, so there isn't much difference.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Wanted to update with a good thread I came across on trades:

What is the best trade to learn (highest, job, salary)

Excerpts:

You should probably look at a course catalog from a nearby community college or technical trade school. Many community colleges have classes in all these fields, electrician, pipework, welding, auto shop. Then you can talk to the people and maybe take a class or two to see if you even like it.

As far as welding goes, you can specialize in certain types which can be in low supply. Of course they're not always easy to do, I used to work with someone who's husband was a nuclear submarine welder. So everything had to be exact, but they paid lots of money (I think $50-75k over 20 years ago).

-----

My friend went in the army, and learned aircraft mechanics. He works for Southwest now, with his 20 year military retirement, and now fat job doing the same thing, working on aircraft engines. He loves his job, and he has liberal flight benefits as well. He is one of the truly happy people I know, who loves his work.

-----

In no particular order:

1) Diesel mech.

2) HVAC (HUGE demand out there)

3) Aircraft and helicopter maintenance and repair.

4) Precision machinists (notice I put PRECISION, in there, although this varies by location, due to the economy). That's my background, and I'm now an engineer making damn good money, which never would have happened if I didn't have the applied technologies background I have.

5) Plastic injection mold making (again, varies by location, but these folks make serious bank if they're good).

-----

Plumbing and/or pipefitting. Similar, but not always. Both pay well. Pipefitters seem to earn more.

Electrical, but not just commercial/residential. Get into industrial and/or utilities. Get some electronics courses. Substation/relay work is plentiful now, and in the future.

Energy and utilities are hiring right now and if I had to do it all over again I would have focused on that instead of manufacturing.

-----

Good refrigeration techs that are good can get a job anywhere in the south. It's an easy trade, a lot less technical than auto. think about it, count the number of a/c units you pass on your way to work? A lot, but auto work is very good too if you have the right stuff.

Refrigeration techs do about 60k if they are good. 120K if they are in business for themself, One man shop.

-----

Geez, and how could I forget three big ones-making prosthetic limbs, making dental prosthesis, and optics.

The prosthetic limb stuff has really gone high-tech in the last several years, with some of it made in 5+ axis CNC machines, some components made from carbon fiber, etc.

Dental prosthesis apprenticeships are good ones, and pay well.

Optics is one of the best, IMHO. Kinda wish I'd gotten into that field. There are 3 cities where optics is big: Rochester, NY, Orlando, FL, and Tucson, AZ. Similar to machining (lots of hard-turning and other forms of fabrication on machine tools), fixture building, etc., and there are training programs for that. Not many schools offer degrees, although the comm. college back home offers a certificate and an AAS degree, and UofR offers a bachelor's (and probably higher degrees).

-----

I had a client a couple of years who worked for a large retail department store and had worked his way up to air conditioning manager or something like that. He was in charge of all the stores in our area (there are a lot) and he was telling me that he just can't find young guys willing to learn out there. This was 2 years ago; he has been there 29 years. Started at age 20, worked his way up the line. Happy guy.

-----

I will say that a good certified welder, particularly one with a good mobile unit on a truck, is not going to go wanting for work, or money. In good times, you have construction, in bad times, repair. Not everybody is cut out to be a welder, though.

Being an electrician or plumber, like being a welder, means you can work construction in boom times and repair in down times, but I don't see these guys doing as well as a welder in a "down" market.

-----

Welding.

My husband is a welder and we are never worried about him being out of work. He has always made a good living to support our family. You could work in a shop, do field work, do underwater welding, get your CWI and be an inspector, get your own truck and welder to do private jobs, do costume jobs, travel for work with something like a pipeline. If you are a skilled welder I don't think you will have to worry about not finding a job.

-----

I agree.

One friend of mine is a precision welder, and he has a background in mold making. So, most of his business is in welding molds, although he does PLENTY of other precision welding 90%+ of weld shops won't touch.

There was a huge demand for welders who could weld titanium near to here, recently, starting at $26/hr. I think it was about 24 positions or so.

-----

underwater welding

-----

Everything considered, including work environment/conditions/stability/pay:

Industrial/other specialized electrician

Biomedical Technician (Repairing Medical Equipment - Specialize)

Plumber (but Dirty)

Inspector (Welding, electrical, plumbing, etc)

Cost Estimator (General Construction, Electrical, etc.)

-----

Around here right now welders, electricians, and plumbers are all out of work.

Two things that have to be taken care of even when the economy sucks are transit buses (diesel engines) and back up generators (hospitals, jails, government, grocery stores, refridgerated warehouses). Learn how to repair one or the other of them, and get certified, and you'll never be out of work.

-----

One of the most in-demand jobs now and moving into the future is turbine mecahnics--the ones that work on the big windmills. Right now there are way too few of them, and not a whole lot of people in school to learn how to fix them.

-----

I have been trying to tell my nephew to be an electrician. He can have his own business or if he doesn't like that he can very easy get a job as a maintenance man at a factory. Also the electricians are the ones that are installing solar panels and in Pennsylvania where I live and their is not enough electricians that have been trained in solar installation. You could also go back to school and become an electrical engineer at some point.

You can make a lot as a brick mason if you also do cement work and stone masonry. But it takes a lot of time and energy to learn these skills. My Dad made A LOT of money doing this.

The fact that it appears your putting in a lot of energy into making a career choice tells me you will be fine in whatever you choose. Most people just fall into a job.

-----

My family owns a masonry contracting firm.....laying brick, stone, tuck pointing, stuff like that. Business is booming and they're having trouble finding qualified people. Starting wage $35/hr + benefits which include vacations, sick days, pension and health insurance.

-----

Get into anything that involves FOOD.The last thing people stop doing is eating.I was in electronics and had to go back to school to keep up with its ever changing state of the art,so instead I bought a snack route and fed my family for 28 years before retirement.Sales even increased in bad times,people stayed home to save money, watched TV and ate my junk food it was cheaper than buying gas.True story.

-----

Carpenter best kept secret in the trades. I can never retire I am known around town as the Carpenter. No young folks are interested they all want to work in cubicles for corps as slaves.

You control your own security pay etc once you spend 10 plus years learning a trade and becoming self employed, been self employed over 35 years, no good being the best and working for a boss they get the glory you get a crappy paycheck and layed off when the job is done. get paid to learn and go for it

The whole thread's worth checking out if you're in the market for a trade.

Only one I'd suggest you stay away with for now that I saw mentioned in the thread is trucking. They're automating long haul trucking right now to let long haul trucking happen faster (no sleep breaks or days off), more efficiently (best fuel burn is at 40 mph; most truckers want to go faster to save time / make more money), and cheaper. The long haul trucker career will probably be gone in 10-15 years, so I'd look into a different trade than this.

Also, two suggestions in this thread for learning trades:

• Attend a trade/vocational skill
  • Get an apprenticeship

On that last, at least in the US, apparently the various states have websites where you can search for apprenticeships available in your area. Basically what that is is say some guy's a carpenter, and he has a lot of work but can't find anyone to help him out. So he'll put an add up looking for an apprentice. You go, sign up, and get paid to help out while he teaches you the trade.

One other resource worth checking out on trades: The Best Vocational Careers

According to this website, the 17 best vocational careers are:

• Computer programmer
  • Computer support specialist
  • Dental assistant
  • Dental hygienist
  • Diagnostic medical sonographer
  • HVAC technician
  • Licensed practical nurse
  • Medical assistant
  • Medical laboratory technician
  • Nuclear medicine technologist
  • Occupational therapy assistant
  • Paralegal
  • Radiation therapist
  • Radiology technician
  • Registered nurse
  • Respiratory therapist
  • Web developer

Lots to look into here if you're figuring out what you'll do career-wise.

Chase

The Tool

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
The 'easy' majors (psychology, English, liberal arts, etc.) I advise you only to select if you're independently wealth and don't need a job, or you're just attending college for kicks. Everyone else, pick something people will actually pay you for.
LOL!!!!!! Chase. It hurts the way you just stabbed me in the heart. :'(

Welp....Now I'm gonna drop out of my masters program, Say goodbye to my wife, Hop on an oil rig and get featured on dirty jobs.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
I know they sound douchey as fuck but check out Wall Street Playboys, their posts on career and finding your skill are top tier.

Generally.

1. If more introverted and mathematically inclined, do engineering or be a quant.

2. If more extroverted and a people person, go into sales.

Tim Iron

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Business Intelligence Analytics, Data Analytics, Data Science and Machine Learning Engineer because data is growing at an alarming rate. You can take multiple courses on Coursera.org (all courses there are offered by well established universities or big companies).

After, you should take multiple courses on Udemy (or any other platform like that) because of the guided projects at the end.

Having multiple Coursera certificates would allow employers consider you but you have to prove what you can do... this is where doing guided projects and personal projects can help.

>