Meditation and Seduction

Mystique

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
So I've been interested in meditation and I don't know how to start. There are lots of techniques and types and it gets confusing. So here are the questions I have
1. How does a beginner start meditating
2. How does meditation help you in your journey to pick up mastery
3. What are the types of meditation that are more essential (as too many types exists)
4. How long and how many times is ideal for meditation

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
Here's a good video from a seducer that gives in depth explanation of meditation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a5fO8jE7mc

Short Answers to your questions:

1. You just start.

2. Allows you to easier replace thought processes, easier eliminate approach anxiety, and enjoy the process plus much much more.

3. Focus your thoughts on one thing. Breath, a candle flame, a feeling in your body. Your mind will wander. Continually bring your focus back to that one thing.

4. Daily. Start small and work your way up. (2 minutes first week, 5 minutes second week, 10 minutes third week, 20 minutes 4th week)

I currently meditate 20 minutes a day.

mb1

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Mindfulness in Plain English by Henepola Gunaratana is available for free online. He's a Theravada (old school) Buddhist monk trained in Sri Lanka with a PhD from the U.S.

It's a very simple form of meditation called Vipassana, essentially cultivating mindfulness of the breath, then of your thoughts, letting them pass, noticing without clinging and returning to the breath. It's simply about seeing things as they are, rather than manipulating the body's energy flow or anything like that.

He recommends a 20 minute session each morning and evening.

Masculinity itself could be defined as calm, rational awareness.

Mystique

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Here's a good video from a seducer
that gives in depth explanation of
meditation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=8a5fO8jE7mc
Short Answers to your questions:
1. You just start.
2. Allows you to easier replace
thought processes, easier eliminate
approach anxiety, and enjoy the
process plus much much more.
3. Focus your thoughts on one thing.
Breath, a candle flame, a feeling in
your body. Your mind will wander.
Continually bring your focus back to
that one thing.
4. Daily. Start small and work your
way up. (2 minutes first week, 5
minutes second week, 10 minutes
third week, 20 minutes 4th week)
I currently meditate 20 minutes a
day.
Got it! I haven't checked out the video though. I've got limited data but I understand your explanation
Mindfulness in Plain English by
Henepola Gunaratana is available for
free online. He's a Theravada (old
school) Buddhist monk trained in Sri
Lanka with a PhD from the U.S.
It's a very simple form of meditation
called Vipassana, essentially
cultivating mindfulness of the breath,
then of your thoughts, letting them
pass, noticing without clinging and
returning to the breath. It's simply
about seeing things as they are,
rather than manipulating the body's
energy flow or anything like that.
He recommends a 20 minute session
each morning and evening.
Masculinity itself could be defined as
calm, rational awareness.
I just downloaded the book. My question is there are a whole lot of types of meditation. Which are the most useful? I just want info on two or three most essential ones. I think mindfulness is one of them

mb1

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
They're all essentially about mindfulness - i.e. meditating 'on' something, whether that be on sound, a mantra, the breath, a candle, the body's energy flow, etc. Note each of these is about cultivating awareness of something. http://www.chopra.com/ccl/5-types-of-meditation-decoded

The focus of meditation is a useful anchor. The really advanced forms of meditation all require base levels of mindfulness to begin with. For example, Henepola Gunaratana may now meditate on the nature of suffering, etc. attempting to reach enlightenment, but nothing like this can be done without first cultivating a quiet of the mind, requiring mindfulness of thoughts.

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
Good stuff already here, I just want to add you can reap the meditative benefits without actually doing any meditation.

Activities that require intense focus such as working out or painting will induce a meditative state because you are so focused on doing something in the present. Steve Jobs was notorious for going on walks to mull over ideas, which is extremely meditative.

You don't just have to sit crossed legged, on the floor, listening to xylophones sounds while staring at an open flame to get those benefits.

-Lotus

bassman

Space Monkey
space monkey
All great stuff above. I used to have a very routine daily meditation that i used to do. baisically i would just laydown and play soothing ocean sounds and calm myself from head to toe and just let my thoughs all drift by and eventually i could just lay there completely thoughtless and at peace and calm. id do this for about 10 to 15 min a session. after starting that routine, my life totally changed. it was one of the best times of my life and i felt like i could do anything.

now a days my life is a lot more busy and stressful and its much harder to quiet my mind let alone find the time to get a routine started. but lately i have been listening to a lot of alan watts and that has seemed to have a really good effect. like he says: its really hard to force your mind to stop thinking, so dont try. check out this video for a good introduction to alan watts and dont be affraid to listen to his other stuff. hes very soothing to listen to and makes complete sense out of all the nonsense. wish i would have found him when i was younger, he has changed my life.
here ya go:

https://youtu.be/emHAoQGoQic

Mystique

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
They're all essentially about
mindfulness - i.e. meditating 'on'
something, whether that be on
sound, a mantra, the breath, a
candle, the body's energy flow, etc.
Note each of these is about
cultivating awareness of something.
http://www.chopra.com/ccl/5-
types-of-meditation-decoded
The focus of meditation is a useful
anchor. The really advanced forms of
meditation all require base levels of
mindfulness to begin with. For
example, Henepola Gunaratana may
now meditate on the nature of
suffering, etc. attempting to reach
enlightenment, but nothing like this
can be done without first cultivating
a quiet of the mind, requiring
mindfulness of thoughts.
Now I understand @mb1
@lotus
Good stuff already here, I just want to
add you can reap the meditative
benefits without actually doing any
meditation.
Activities that require intense focus
such as working out or painting will
induce a meditative state because
you are so focused on doing
something in the present. Steve Jobs
was notorious for going on walks to
mull over ideas, which is extremely
meditative.
You don't just have to sit crossed
legged, on the floor, listening to
xylophones sounds while staring at
an open flame to get those benefits
This is my first time of hearing that one. I know exercises are good. But I didn't know the above stuffs you mentioned can be replaced with meditation and still reap the exact same benefits of meditation. I'll have to do some research to confirm it. And I absolutely need to resume my work sessions.
@bassman
All great stuff above. I used to have a
very routine daily meditation that i
used to do. baisically i would just
laydown and play soothing ocean
sounds and calm myself from head to
toe and just let my thoughs all drift
by and eventually i could just lay
there completely thoughtless and at
peace and calm. id do this for about
10 to 15 min a session. after starting
that routine, my life totally changed.
it was one of the best times of my
life and i felt like i could do anything.
now a days my life is a lot more busy
and stressful and its much harder to
quiet my mind let alone find the time
to get a routine started. but lately i
have been listening to a lot of alan
watts and that has seemed to have a
really good effect. like he says: its
really hard to force your mind to stop
thinking, so dont try. check out this
video for a good introduction to alan
watts and dont be affraid to listen to
his other stuff. hes very soothing to
listen to and makes complete sense
out of all the nonsense. wish i would
have found him when i was younger,
he has changed my life.
here ya go:
https://youtu.be/emHAoQGoQic
Thanks for the info

Dylweed

Space Monkey
space monkey
I always really found this awesome, this is what helped me meditate. This is from a thread on grasscity.com. Also that video by RSD Tyler is extremely motivating

I do my meditation like this, for my object i use an object in a room and stare at it with eyes open

"Absorption Through Concentration

Here one sits specifically in an upright posture. The absolute most preferable seated position for this is the full lotus position. A guide to this can be found here. The second best position is the thunderbolt position, which can be found here. This can be performed without any cushioning, on a cushion or mattress, or with a small cushion under the ankles. The third most preferable position is a half lotus position, which is a modification of the full lotus where you use just one leg over the other. Then one can sit in a cross legged, indian style position. Finally, if you cant do any of these, sitting on a flat chair with a back rest that allows your back to be straight is acceptable. The purpose of this is to keep the mind attentive and to prevent one from becoming drowsy, inattentive, and from falling asleep. When the spine is straight, energy flow down the primary energy channel through the body, called the sushumna nadi which is along the spine, is unobstructed and flows freely to the brain.

Then one chooses an object of meditation. It can be open eyed and one may choose a spot on the wall, a lit candle, any object, preferably something that invokes no memories and that is simple and does not invoke much thought about it. It can be close eyed, and this is often better for deeper meditation, though both closed and open eye meditation are very useful. When the eyes are closed, one can meditate upon ones breath; the physical sensation between the upper lip and the nose, or the feeling of airflow in the nose itself. This is called vipasanna meditation. One can also meditate upon a spoken mantra, such as the cosmic sound "Aum". This sound is the primordial sound of existence and causes extreme energization. You will likely find your third eye becoming very energized and active as a by product of this meditation. One can also meditate upon a repeated thought.

Here, you simply choose the object of meditation, then focus all your attention on it, come what may. Your mind will keep wandering. Do not get angry with yourself or restless and upset, do not even acknowledge or think about the distraction, simply bring your attention back to the object of your meditation. Emotions might arise, physical sensations or pain might arise and distract you. Do not acknowledge them, calmly return your attention to the object of your meditation. Do this for as long as you can.

Initially, this meditation will simply cause a quietening of the internal chatter in your head, and a sense of peace from having your attention more involved in a neutral object than in thoughts, which are usually compulsive, very many, and helter-skelter, or in emotions.

After awhile, deeper into meditation, suddenly you will require little to no effort to bring your attention back to the object of your meditation as you keep getting distracted in between, it will seem effortless. This is the initial stage of what is called one-pointedness of mind. Calm and serenity will be experienced.

Still deeper into meditation, time dilation will appear to start occuring, and the frequency of distractions and thoughts will reduce very significantly. If one is meditating upon ones breath, each breath might seem to take 5-10 times longer than usual to complete. While the breathing is likely to have slowed down from relaxtion, it is the lack of distraction and thought that causes one to feel this time dilation experience. Great calm is experienced.

Even deeper, one will acheive complete one-pointedness of mind. The distractions will stop, all that there will be is the object of meditation. Great calm will be experienced. A physical sensation of bliss might be experienced somewhere in the body. There are two things one can do now: Change the object of meditation to this sensation. It will grow, and as it grows, meditate upon the larger sensation. Suddenly the sensation will engulf the body and the meditator will be catapaulted into a state of extreme physical and emotional bliss. In buddhism, this is known as the first jhana. One can go even deeper into various jhanas by simply observing this bliss without getting involved in it or getting attached to it. Great, deep, previously never experienced, soul-level peace and calm will be experienced. Simply observe this and stay in meditation. The third jhana will be an experience of infiniteness, and so on and so forth with the various jhanas. A good read on the jhanas can be found here NOTE: Going into the jhanas beyond the first jhana requires VERY VERY deep meditation and ALOT of meditative experience and is not likely to occur easily for most. Many will never get past the first jhana in their lives, because the bliss of the first jhana is so intense that one cannot help but get involved in it. This does not mean dont try, keep striving, but do not get dismayed or discouraged if it doesn't happen.

Alternatively, do not change the object of meditation after you get into complete one-pointedness of mind where thought ceases, ignore any physical sensations and keep meditating on the object of your meditation. At some point, suddenly, the object of meditation and the observer will cease to exist as seperate entities and will be experienced as one. This is 'Absorption through concentration', the self is absorbed into the object of concentration. This is a no mind state, you are likely to lose you 'usual' awareness at this point. Note that this is not unconsciousness, your body will remain in meditation position, it will self regulate and you will keep breathing. No bliss nor anything is experienced, for the self is temporarily suspended - there is nothing that can experience anything. This experience has very very profound impacts on the general level of compulsive thought your mind has in your day to day life and on your spiritual growth. Great spiritual energy is bourne of it that enters your being and cleanses you on all levels: physical, emotional, subtle energy, and soul. Note that this level of meditation is also very difficult and takes a long time to reach, do not get discouraged, all levels of meditations are beneficial and whatever you can achieve at any given point is the best for you at that time."

Rakkum

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Mystique said:
So I've been interested in meditation and I don't know how to start. There are lots of techniques and types and it gets confusing. So here are the questions I have
1. How does a beginner start meditating

There is a great deal of information available on the internet - articles, youtube videos, etc. However, if you have the time and inclination, I would recommend reading a few books or meeting someone who can teach you one-on-one. It easy so lose focus and jump from one thing to another when learning things online.

Mystique said:
3. What are the types of meditation that are more essential (as too many types exists)

I don't have a straight answer for you but there is a great book which gives a very good overview of meditation. "The Varieties of Meditative Mind" by Daniel Goleman. The author is a famous and respected psychologist (the emotional intelligence guy) but also a practicing meditator.

I am practicing mindfulness meditation right now. It has two basic elements: concentration and mindfulness. With most meditation varieties you will probably have to start with working up a sufficient ability to concentrate

Mystique said:
4. How long and how many times is ideal for meditation

That will probably depend on the type of meditation and the particular teaching or teacher. However, when beginning, I think it is more important of building the habit of daily practice than meeting any rigid temporal goals.

An easy to read and comprehensive manual is "Mindfulness in Plain English by Henepola Gunaratana (freely available online) It covers both the nitty gritty of technique and the philosophy and mindset behind the practice. The tradition is Vipassana or insight meditation.

Keep well,
Nipernaadi

>